Node Operation [Megathread]

This is the current recommended hardware specs per the official documentation (Probably subject to change):

Fees / Reward structure isn’t really known yet, so it’s difficult to determine what sort of setup to build. Currently I’m thinking that something like this would be a good starting point: Minisfrom mini work statiion | gaming minic pc | MS-A1

Dual 2.5G Ethernet so building a 3 node cluster using something like Proxmox would probably work out pretty well. Thinking a basic 3 Node cluster with HA (3 nodes, two switches) and a Firewall (I have a Fortigate 40F laying around, but something like pfSense would work well too).

Power is a concern to ensure HA, so I’ll probably get a battery down the line (Tesla Powerwall or one of many available alternatives here). Electricity cost isn’t a factor for me because I have spare capacity with a 6.45KhW solar system (and plenty of Australian sunlight), but this might be a factor for others.

Not including battery in imagined time for ROI because I plan on getting one even if I wasn’t running a fulltime node operation.

I mean… I guess there isn’t much to think about except 1) What would be the expected time for ROI assuming an upfront cost of around ~ $2500 USD to build this cluster. Obviously, at this stage that can’t really be answered because its still testnet and the speculative price action is much too volatile…

I just like making threads.

Thought I’d kick this off to get something rolling.

Edit: Network redundancy is something I forgot to think about. Probably a secondary 4/5G router as a fallback.

1 Like