What's the best hardware wallet, in your experience?

So many choices… what’s the best one?

3 Likes

I’ve been using Safepal for a long time (both hardware and software) and have not had any problems. But I might move to Ledger as it seems to have proven itself overtime more.

3 Likes

I have Ledger Nano X, Nano S, and Nano S Plus. I like Plus the most, but I hate the Nano S. Nano X and Nano S Plus are almost identical in features, but Nano S Plus has a more excellent form factor.

I chose Ledger Nano because they have a dedicated chip for cryptography. Some wallets don’t have this feature and store the seed phrase on the main MCU; that’s not very secure. The specialized chipset is write-only. Once you write your seed phrase in it, you can’t read it back; that makes it safe. Even if someone has physical access to it, they won’t be able to read the seed phrase.

Another critical factor is the OS on the wallet. I like Linux, but I wouldn’t trust a wallet that runs Linux. I’ve done my share of embedded software development to understand why you don’t put Linux on a device like this.

4 Likes

I’m using a ledger X after consideration of other options. Security is primary concern, ease of use second. But I like the UX on ledger too. One of the things I looked at was it’s bluetooth support, but thats not available on MM mobile yet. So I’m using desktop version.

In any case, use a different device for crypto dealings and normal internet usage. Also, there’s ways in which you can screw your security by user error. Just use it as instructed on Ledger official website and you’ll be fine.

4 Likes

Hi all, I had the old school Ledger Nano S since 2017 and recently got the Ledger Nano S plus which is basically the same thing except a bit better (More space/bigger screen). I would recommend however I can’t compare with any other hardware wallets.

But I think the main security concern is when using them you have to enable blind signing so it’s difficult to really know what you are confirming via the device as a transaction unless it is a signature where it displays the full detail.

Metamask doesn’t assist in this regard.

I’ve recently used Rabby wallet which gives you an indication at least as to what will occur, yet still it is on the software wallet rather than the device.

4 Likes

Like Pouya, I also have Ledger S, S plus and X. I actually first bought the X thinking the bluetooth option would allow me to use it on mobile, but as probably everyone found out, MM doesn’t have support for it on Mobile yet (although they did promise it for this year!).

The main problem with the S is the small memory for apps, only allowing 2-4 apps at once. If you are pairing with MM and mostly use EVM chains, you only need the ETH app anyway, so it should work OK, but the S plus has more memory and better screen, so yeah, as a first wallet and for everyday use I think S plus is the best in a price by use comparison. I wouldn’t pay for the extra of the X until you can actually use it with MM on mobile, since Ledger Live app is still pretty limited to say the least in terms of Defi use.

4 Likes

By the way, here is the Ledger announcement of the Bluetooth compatibility on Metamask for April of 2023, so should be available very soon:

4 Likes

Seems like Metamask developers need some asistance :sweat_smile:

they are delayed it seems by the forum information:

4 Likes

Choosing the best hardware wallet for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. However, some of the most popular and respected hardware wallets on the market include:

Ledger Nano S Plus: The Ledger Nano S Plus is a popular choice among beginners as it is relatively easy to use and affordable. It also supports a wide range of cryptocurrencies.
Trezor Model T: The Trezor Model T is another popular choice for beginners as it is relatively easy to use and affordable. It also features a touchscreen display for easy navigation.
KeepKey: KeepKey is a good choice for users who want a more user-friendly interface. It also has a large display that makes it easy to view your transactions.
BitBox02: BitBox02 is a good choice for users who want a more secure hardware wallet. It has a number of security features such as tamper-proof design and secure element chip.
Coldcard: Coldcard is a good choice for users who want an easy to use and secure hardware wallet. It’s also very affordable.

I also advise you to consider business crypto wallet. They are also secure, easy to register and also easy to use.

When choosing a hardware wallet, it is important to consider the following factors:

Safety. The most important factor when choosing a hardware wallet is security. Be sure to choose a wallet that has a good reputation for security and supports features that are important to you, such as a tamper-resistant design and a secure element chip.
Ease of use. If you are a beginner, you may want to choose a hardware wallet that is easy to use. Some hardware wallets have a more user-friendly interface than others.
Price: Hardware wallets can cost between $50 and $200. It is important to choose a wallet that is affordable for you.
Supported cryptocurrencies. Be sure to choose a hardware wallet that supports the cryptocurrencies you want to store.

Once you’ve chosen a hardware wallet, be sure to follow the instructions carefully to set it up properly and secure it. Hardware wallets are a great way to protect your cryptocurrency from theft and loss.

2 Likes

Lattice 1 by GridPlus

3 Likes