Nodes on Raspberry Pi

Just wanted a place to discuss progress/issues encountered when trying to set up nodes on a raspberry pi.

I have a raspberry pi 3 B+ that I bought several years ago(and never used) and I thought I’d pull it out to give these nodes a shot. If you have a raspberry pi 3 or older don’t bother, because they’re 32bit systems and some of the npm packages require a 64bit system, so it didn’t work.

If you have a raspberry pi 4 or newer I’d bet it would work fine. I used the raspbian OS(lite) and I think thats all you need.

2 Likes

I just checked, and Raspberry Pi 3 has a 64-bit CPU. When Raspberry Pi 4 was released, there was no 32-bit OS for it. At least the official OS wasn’t 64-bit.

There is now a 64-bit OS for RPi 3, 4, and 5:

Let’s see how it goes; maybe we can release an RPi image with the validator preconfigured so you can copy it to your RPi.

2 Likes

oh shoot, ok let me give it a try

1 Like

All right. The unchained node works on the Raspberry 3! No issue whatsoever once I switched to the 64bit OS, can’t believe I missed that & thought raspberry 3 was 32bit - must have read a bad article.

I get latency warnings sometimes because it’s on wifi, I could fix that if I plug it into ethernet. Also it’s only got a 4gb flash drive for storage. I’m running the lite version so idk if that’s a problem. Also I just realized I don’t know what unchained is, I thought this was a Kenshi node.

3 Likes

Damn, I got one just sitting around. Would be awesome to run a node on that tbh. I will do the same

2 Likes

Gotta go buy me a pi then. It’d be cool to run a node for Kenshi that I can leave on 24/7 :star_struck:

3 Likes

it was super easy, just try to go for an ethernet connection if you can

1 Like

Would it be easy for someone completely new to pi boards too?
I don’t know jack about them or how they operate, but would like to try.
Maybe you can make a tutorial topic for it?

2 Likes

its dead simple, sure I can write up a guide

2 Likes